Interview with Dimitra Giannakouli

  Interview with Dimitra Giannakouli

By Nikolas Fil



I had the absolute honour to interview Panathinaikos women's team and Greek national women's team Goalkeeper Dimitra Giannakouli talking about her career, her debut against Portugal and women's football in our country. 


How did you catch the football bug and say that this is what you want to do professionally? Did you have an idol growing up?

"I had this footballing bug from a young age without even knowing it, I was constantly playing with the boys at school in every lunch break and every free time I had in my day, I had one important characteristic which was that I was not afraid of the ball so from then on I got the goalkeeper position. I joined a women's team in 2012 and since then I fell in love with it even more with its joys and sorrows and with whatever emotion this sport brings and I said this is what I want to continue doing as long as my soul and my body endure. From my childhood years my idol is Manuel Neuer as I think he is the most complete goalkeeper."


What does football mean for you?

"Football is a very important part of my life, it's a lot of emotions in every different second of the game... It's a team sport that gives you infinite experiences, memories and resources to deal with difficulties even outside of football. It puts you in a different mindset that forces you to mature internally."


You started your career playing for lower leagues sides and now you find yourself playing not only for the national team but also for such a big and historic club like Panathinaikos, how do you feel about that? 

"Since I was little I have gone through all the national categories with each one individually offering you something different, the national team is something that came from a lot of individual and team work and there is a feeling of pride, joy and happiness which is like reward for your efforts. Panathinaikos is a historic team that I am honoured to serve, the emotions are many such as joy, honour and of course a positive pressure to perform to the best of your abilities."


When you got the call from the National team how did you feel? Did you feel that all these years of hard work were justified?

"When I received my first call up I didn't know how to react, there were many emotions that went through me, pride, honour, joy, anxiety and of course justification for years of effort in the sport and a shiver that I will serve the national emblem."


You made your debut for the National team against Portugal in a friendly, even if it was a friendly how did you feel walking out towards the pitch for the first time as a Greek international? 

"Friendly or not it is a match wearing the national emblem on your chest which you have to cope with accordingly. My debut with Portugal came after a very difficult season and I believe I deserved this call up and I feel that I faced this superpower of Portugal with dignity and gave 100% of my potential. I won't forget that there was a lot of productive stress and pressure, but this feeling that penetrates you as you enter the stadium with the starting line up and hearing the national anthem is something that cannot be described in words."


Have you ever thought about moving abroad and where would be your ideal destination?

"I have thought about it several times because Greece still cannot offer its children a valuable development environment. But so far every single team I've picked has completely covered me so I'm still here. I don't have a particular preference abroad to be honest, the only thing that is certain is that my choice will be in an environment that has big expectations and can meet my needs."


How's your season going so far? Are you still in the goals you have set at the start for yourself and your team? 

"So far things are going smoothly and I am within the goals I set at the beginning of the year, I definitely have a lot to achieve even individually and as a team for this to happen there is method, patience and proper work."


Do you have any future goals personally and for club and country?

"My dream is definitely to succeed with my club team and with the national team. Also to play in big teams abroad where I can 'live the dream'."


Do you think that there's a chance that Greek women's football will grow just like the other European countries, considering that we already have women footballers playing in big European leagues? What does it need to be also developed here? 

"I believe in Greece it will take several years to match the level abroad, it needs detailed and continuous work from the federations to be able to even get a little closer. Certainly there have been steps of progress which everyone can distinguish such as the teams participating and raising the level and also the addition of major women footballers in the teams. I still believe that the proper promotion and advertising of women's football should be happening so that the world will know women players even better, breaking down stereotypes as much as possible and making understood that women in football are here to stay."


@BVBNikolas

Hellas Football




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Chants in Greek Football

The Panathinaikos - Croatian Connection

The Current State Of Football On Greece’s Biggest Island - Crete