One on one with Orestis Kiomourtzoglou

Orestis Kiomourtzoglou is a 21 year old German-Greek footballer. At such a young age he already had amassed over 100 professional football matches firstly at his boyhood club in Germany, SpVgg Unterhaching and currently now in Holland for Eredivisie club Heracles Almelo. 

He’s a tall commanding yet game controlling midfielder, with good vision that is making a name for himself and gaining the attention he deserves.

He was kind enough to give us this one on one chat as a little get to know you. 

Can you tell us a little bit about your background and how you got into football?

I was born and raised in Munich and as a lot of kids in Germany, we all loved watching and playing football. I always wanted to become a footballer so with a lot of hard work and dedication I have been lucky enough to be able to do the thing I love as a job.

What part of Greece is your family from and have you visited it?

My father was born in Thessaloniki and moved to Munich in Germany where he had a family. And yes we often head back to Greece on holiday. 

Was it hard being a German born and raised player with a Greek background to establish yourself in professional football in German football?

No not at all. If you work hard and dedicate yourself to being the best footballer you can be, coaches see this and want to work with you. I was lucky enough to go right through the system at SpVgg Unterhaching from the juniors all the way to the first team. 

At such a young age you were an established and key player at SpVgg Unterhaching. How did the move to Holland and the greatly named Heracles Almelo happen?

SpVgg Unterhaching is a fantastic club that gave me a lot and I will forever be grateful to them. At the end of last season my agent came to me saying there was interest from Heracles in Holland and I haven’t look back since the move. They are a fantastic club and are also helping me grow into a better footballer.

In terms of technique and style, what are the main differences you have personally seen between 3. Liga in Germany to the Eredivisie in Holland? 

The main differences are 3.Liga is more of a combative league with long balls upfield whilst in the Eredivise it is much more technical with match day tactics on opposition teams being utilised. 

You’re a tall midfielder that has scored a few goals in your career. 
Can you tell us the style of game you play and your preferred position / line up? 

I see my strengths more in duels, tackling and balls conquered. I'm also relatively cool in front of goal but because I mainly prioritise my game working a lot with the defence, I do not come forward often during matches.

You’re a young man having a breakout season, and as all players have aspirations to play international football. As the Ethniki Omada are going through a transitional phase under Dutch coach John van’t Schip, if they contacted you, would you consider it?

Of course it would be an honor for me to play for Greece, and I would of course be very pleased if I received an invitation. Currently I just need to keep working hard for my club, play well with good performances, and the rest will follow.

We have seen many German born Greek background players make a name for themselves in either Germany or in Greece, do you see your career following their footsteps and one day playing football in the Greek Super League? 

Yes many have gone to Greece and have had success over. If at some point in my career an offer should come from the big clubs, I'll give it some thoughts, but right now I am very happy at Heracles Almelo.

Do you follow Greek football and if so, do you have a favourite club or favourite player? 

Yes, I keep an eye on the results and whenever time permits I always try to watch the top SLGR matches. 
As for a favourite club, no I don’t have one.

You were a child when it happened but do you have any memories of Greece winning the Euro 2004?

I have seen a lot of the matches/highlights but at the time I was 6 years old so I do not really remember much unfortunately. 
I do know that my dad watched every match and was very proud of the team. Even today he still often mentions it.

Thank you for your time Orestis. We really appreciate it.

By Hellas Football

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Chants in Greek Football

The Panathinaikos - Croatian Connection

The Current State Of Football On Greece’s Biggest Island - Crete