One on One With Dimitris Goutas

Dimitris Goutas burst onto the Greek Football scene with Xanthi, before scoring a big move to Olympiakos. After plying his trade across Europe on various loan moves, he is back in Greece this season with Atromitos.

He was good enough to give us some of his time in our latest 1 on 1 interview.

What was it like growing up in Kavala and were opportunities more limited as opposed to a player from Athens?
The truth is that I grew up in a much smaller place called Thasos, which is an island very close to Kavala. From my small local club, a Xanthi FC scout saw me and offered me an opportunity to move to the city of Xanthi alone to develop my football skills. From a personal point of view, both Kavala and Xanthi can provide opportunities, but my home island, it is quite difficult.

Do you remember your first professional match for Xanthi?
Yes of course,  it was at an away match against Veria FC. The match was played on our OXI National Celebration Day, 28th of October 2012. I played 90 minutes and received a yellow card, but did well otherwise. I was really nervous, not afraid. It was  also 2 days after my name day so it was a nice present.

What was the jump from Xanthi to Olympiakos like?
At the time I had an excellent proposal from a top Belgium club abroad, and to be honest in my mind I was all set to move abroad. For a variety of reasons that move did not work out and I was happy to find out that Olympiakos wanted me as well, which was and still is a leading club in Greece.

Why do you think you were not given a proper opportunity at Olympiakos?
This is not for me to answer, but what I know for sure is that I always worked hard and I was ready to take any opportunity which was never given to me. That’s football though and there is nothing I can do about it. But it was disappointing.


How does the Greek Super League compare with the Polish and Belgium leagues in terms of quality and atmosphere?
Quality wise it is not such huge differences although football in Belgium is played really fast and can be highly technical with many clubs competing at the same level, where at Poland it is more physical and “raw”. Atmosphere wise it was great and I really enjoyed my time at both countries. 
For us in Greece, all I can say is that we need to focus on football and work hard on all issues…

How did the move to Poznan come about and why didn’t it work out for you?
I had several offers for loan moves that summer but Lech had given me a great offer! They are a good club, well organized and at a beautiful city. They are an ambitious club that wants to succeed and the management were are reliable. Plus the big thing for me at the time was the coach wanted me there.
When the coach changed, without any reason I was ruled out of the squad without any explanation and without knowing the reason. Never the less, I kept working hard and when I got my chance, I believe I answered the only way I could do. To the many questions I received from the fans regarding why I was not playing, I just want to thank them all for the great support, really.


How did the move to Atromitos happen?
I knew that I could leave on a free transfer player this summer so I had options, I received some very good offers from Greek clubs and abroad but I felt that I had to return to Greece. The coach along with the administration of Atromitos did their best to show me that I was essential part of their plan so we did the deal. I am really happy with the move and I want to thank them all. Atromitos is a club that in all aspects of its operations is run well. 


Who has been the most influential person in your career?
I cant name just one person, but my whole family! My father, my mother and my sister! They were always there to support me, to encourage me when at a very young age when I found myself alone in a strange city, or when things are difficult. These three people plus my partner in life Eirini, are the best thing ever happened to me and my career. 

What's the biggest game you have played in?
The final of the Greek Cup against Olympiakos FC at May 2015

What’s your most memorable game you’ve played?
For sure it would be the game against Olympiakos Volou during the summer of 2014 where I scored and we won. With that win, we remained in the Super League! There was no tomorrow had we lost!

What was it like being part of a very successful Greek youth team and do you still stay in contact with the players?
Great spirit, we were a family. Its hard to describe. I am still friends with most of my teammates and proud that I was a member of that team. Always extremely proud to play with the Greek flag on our shirt!

What do you think of the new coaching setup in the Ethniki and has anyone in the coaching team been in contact with you?
He comes from a country and has a great football education. I believe that his mentality can help the National team return to a victorious path. We have the quality, we have the experience, we have players with huge value in the football market. We just need to put the pieces of the puzzle in the right place. 
I will always support the team and every player that is called in..
On a personal note, no one has contacted me from the national team, but I will do my job and if I am needed, it will be an honour and a dream come true..

What are your memories of Euro 2004?
I was very young but I remember almost everything, every match and every day! I was influenced strongly by that tournament and I am very proud of Greek football for that achievement. All the players from that squad are idols in my mind.

Who is the best player you've ever played with and against?
With? I don’t want to pick as it would be unfair for the many great players I have played with, but against? I would say Michy Batshuayi when he was at Standard Liege. We played against them in a Europa League  match back in 2013-14 season. The quality of this player was really amazing and he is still doing very good of course. He was hard to handle but I managed…

What type of player do you want to be remembered as?
As a reliable central defender that offered quality and safety to my teammates and my coaches. 

Thank you for your time Dimitris and best of luck for the season. 

By Hellas Football

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Chants in Greek Football

The Panathinaikos - Croatian Connection

The Current State Of Football On Greece’s Biggest Island - Crete