Jannis Nikolaou One on One

Jannis Nikolaou is a German born footballer with Greek roots through his father. At 26 his career is on the up and as a goal scoring #6 his blooming career bares similarities to another German born footballer with Greek roots in Jose Holebas.
Jannis was kind enough to give us his time, and we gladly shine the spotlight on him in our latest 1 on 1.

Can you tell us a little bit about your background and how you got into football?
I‘m a 26 years old guy from a village close to the former German Capital Bonn. That‘s also where I joined my first football Club. As many guys from where I was born and raised, I have been playing football since I was able to run. Of course, it has been my dream to become a professional football player.

What part of Greece is your family from and have you visited it?
My father is Greek. He was born in Thessaloniki and moved over to Germany many years ago. My mother is German. Yes, I have been to Greece many times. I visit different spots in nearly every season break. I really like it.

Was it hard being a German born and raised player with a Greek background to establish yourself in professional football in Germany?
No, not at all. The place where my family lives, like nearly whole Germany nowadays, is very open-minded. I didn‘t have any problems facing my background. It’s quite the opposite: I try to unite the positive aspects from both countries within myself :-) and to be honest, it’s a bit of my playing style showing Greek behaviours like aggressiveness supported by German traits like discipline.

You‘re a defender that has scored a few goals in your career. Have you always played that position?
During the whole youth time in my hometown and playing for 1. FC Köln, I played as a Center Back. That’s the position I was educated as. When I signed my first professional contract in Rot-Weiß Erfurt on the third German level, my former Coach tried me as a holding midfielder, we call it a “number 6“. I really got used to that position. Today, I can play both positions and feel comfortable with that issue. In my current Club, Dynamo Dresden, for the moment I mainly play as a number 6. No matter where I play - I love to score goals as probably every player does, by the way!

You‘re in the prime of your career at 26, do you have aspirations to play international football and if the Ethniki Omada, who are going through a transitional phase contacted you, would you consider it?
I tried to plan my career in a smart step-by-step way so far. At the moment I feel very comfortable playing for a fantastic team like Dynamo Dresden with amazing supporters shouting for us every week. If you ask me, whether a step to the Greek National Team would be another smart step, I will definitely say yes! It’s more than a dream and a big honour for every football player to represent the country your ancestors have been living in for generations. So far, there hasn’t been any contact towards the Ethniki Omada. I can just try to show convincing performances in my Club. Maybe my dream might become true one day.

We have seen many German born Greek background players make a name for themselves in either Germany or in Greece, do you see your career following their footsteps and one day playing football in the Greek Super League?
If I learned 2 things in football, the first thing is: Never say never! Football is moving so quickly and decisions sometimes can be taken within some minutes. So: Why not play in Greece one day? The second thing is: Enjoy the moment and fight hard in every second in every training and every match. This is the stuff that you can have an influence on. And I can tell you: I am more than happy where I am in this moment - in my Club Dynamo Dresden!

Do you follow Greek football and if so, do you have any favourite club or favourite player?
Yes, I do! Of course, if you have an eye on a competition from another country, mainly the big clubs appear in your spotlight. Olympiakos, PAOK (as my family comes from there), etc. They also play in the European Cup challenges regularly. That’s why you can follow them a bit better than the other teams. Playerwise, I look up to world class defenders like Manolas or Sokratis. Excellent players I can look something down from.

You were a young man when it happened, but do you have any memories of Greece winning the Euro 2004?
Of course, I do! We watched the match with our whole family and I really couldn’t believe Greece won the trophy! It was a special day for our family. Great job by Otto Rehhagel and the players like Charisteas. Very impressive for me when I was young! Those guys are idols for me.

Thank you for your time Jannis. We really appreciate it.

Good luck for the season! 

By Hellas Football.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Chants in Greek Football

The Panathinaikos - Croatian Connection

The Current State Of Football On Greece’s Biggest Island - Crete