Is the Ethniki Omada that much of a poison chalice?

The answer to my question is an emphatic YES!

Names being thrown around as possible replacements leave a lot to be desired.

John van’t Schip, Thomas Doll, Manolo Jimenez! Wow what a list of wage thieves umm I mean coaches. Okay maybe I’m being harsh on Jimenez but ho-hum.

There’s a common theme here with the foreign names being linked. They all started off with impressive jobs but stuffed it up and went from bad to worse to currently being unemployed to a point that this job is attractive or in most cases only job on offer to them.

And let’s be honest, if they had a tiny bit of success with us they’d run to the first club job on offer.

Just one quick look at their coaching careers and you’ll see they’ve been all over the world like a yo-yo.

Can I call them mercenaries looking for a job till something better arrives? Yep. I can, and I have.

I could add the Greeks linked to the job like Dellas, Ouzounidis but I won’t as I’d say they’ve been added to the list purely as lip service from the powers at be.

No doubt Grammenos and the gang think us fans are stupid.

See, If every player played to their potential with nothing more, we are a team that should be making World Cups and European Championships every four years, and it would be a job that would look good on someone’s CV.

The good bones are there, but right now we look like the carcass of a lamb on a spit that was devoured over Easter. We looked good, was very tasty but now that we’ve eaten and drank all day, no one of note can be bothered putting out the rubbish so we are left with this.

The garbage man still comes weekly though so whilst we sit back remembering how tasty that lamb was, the job will be filled and we will plod along.

The toxic environment that engulfs our national squad would mean whoever takes the reigns needs to be a smart coach and a politician because dealing with the player egos is one thing but also having to deal with the governing body is another.

Which is worse? Choose your poison I guess.

For what it’s worth and what I would do if I was given the task of cleaning up football. Remove the people that run the EPO as they’ve had more than enough chances to get it right and hire the right people with good intentions. Wasted payouts on a multitude of poor coaches costing us millions is not conducive to good business.

Done right, I have no doubt the job would be taken by a manager who we could all get excited about, as jokes aside, this isn’t such a bad job if everyone is on the same page.

Sadly, I won’t hold my breathe as mediocrity is our level now and nothing will change till everything changes.

By George for Hellas Football.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Chants in Greek Football

A Knee away from the 1998 World Cup

The Panathinaikos - Croatian Connection