One on One with Giannis Anestis

We caught up with former AEK shot-stopper Giannis Anestis, the somewhat forgotten man of Greek Goalkeeping, who is currently plying his trade in Sweden with IFK Goteborg.

How is football like in Chalkida? Can a local youngster find any chances there?

Football in Chalkida is not at a great level right now. I don't know what the reason are but it has deteriorated. I would say that if any young athlete from Chalkida wants to reach the next level, they need to find an opportunity at another big city with a good academy.

How did you feel when you made the step up from Panionios to AEK? Did you feel any extra pressure or motivation from the fans?

I wouldn't say I felt any extra pressure playing for AEK as I was prepared, but I will say I felt really motivated to succeed there and go on to achieve greater things in my career.
Which moment would you describe as the best in your career so far?

The best moment of my career so far (until the next one) is the game vs AC Milan at the San Siro.

Speaking of your game vs AC Milan at the San Siro, many great footballers and commentators say that might be the best performance of your career. What was the key for such a great performance against such a big opponent at their home ground?

The key for me was to remain focused and stay confident with my own ability and believe in my team mates. Over all it was important to stay calm and focused for the entire game.


You played in the 2016 Greek Cup Final against Olympiakos, with what mentality does a player enter a game like this?

You have to have the same mentality to enter a big match like this like you would enter any other game. Stay focused, believe in your ability and your team mates. Understand the greater goal as every mistake can potentially cost you the title.

This summer marked the first time you played outside of Greece, first in Israel and then in Sweden, was the transition hard? What do you miss most about Greece?

The transition in Sweden has been really good and fast, and the team and my team mates have certainly helped with that. At this moment in time I don't miss anything in Greece really because I have my family with me, my wife and my little daughter. 
The only I thing I would say that I miss right now are my friends and us going out for coffee.

How did you end up in Sweden and what are the basic differences between Swedish and Greek Football?

IFK Goteborg was interested in me and I didn't even think it twice before joining because they are a big club with rich history. It was an exciting move.


Which team did you admire as a kid growing up?

I have an insane amount of love for Liverpool ever since I was a kid.

We already knew you are a big Liverpool fan, so we will put you on the spot now, Will they win the league this year?

I really hope we can win it, the title race is very close now but there's still a lot of football to be played.

What are your memories from Euro 2004?

Great memories. Whilst I watched the whole tournament I vividly remember the semi-final and the final wins. even I also remember the fantastic parties we had in my village which were amazing! It was a great time for Greek football.



Best teammate and opponent you have faced?

I don't want to be unjust to anyone or single payers out because throughout my career I have had a lot of great teammates and opponents.

Lastly, what kind of player do you want to be remembered as when you retire?

First thing I would like is for anyone that remembers or knows me to respect me as a human and then as an athlete.

Thank you for your time Gianni and best of luck for the season. 

By Hellas Football

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Chants in Greek Football

The Panathinaikos - Croatian Connection

The Current State Of Football On Greece’s Biggest Island - Crete