One on One with Tasos Avlonitis

Its not often we get to interview a player so when the opportunity came to do one with current PAO defender Tasos Avlonitis we jumped at the chance. We thank him for giving up his time to do this.

What was it like growing up and were football opportunities more limited for you as opposed to a young player from a bigger city?
I grew up in Chalkida, a place near Athens but the football academies were few. Only 1-2 academies and one big disadvantage was that when I was a child, there wasn’t any professional teams in the Evia Prefecture. This was a big disadvantage for the children and for the academies’ targets. The children in Athens has much more opportunities to grow up in a better environment and be more professional.

Do you remember your first professional match for Egaleo?
My first professional game was against Pas Giannina (away). I was 17 years old.

What was the jump from Panionios to Olympiakos like?
My jump from Panionios to Olympiakos, a Club that was in the Champions league was not easy. From the preseason I could understand the differences, the details in tactics, in technique etc. But as a player you have to adapt in every situation if you want to have a good career.

How does the Greek Super League compare with the Scottish and Austrian leagues in terms of quality and atmosphere?
Greek and Austrian leagues has many similarities and it was easy for me to adapt at Sturm Graz.
Scottish football is completely different. More duels, more strength, more fighting, less tactics.

How did the move to Scotland come about?
I was free in January and when a Hearts center back got injured, the coach spoke with my agent and told him he was interested. Hearts is a very big club so it wasn't a difficult decision and I signed immediately.

What’s it like playing for Olympiakos and Panathinaikos in the derby matches?
The Derby between PAO and Olympiakos is a really big match for the players and for the fans also. Personally, I feel blessed that I had the opportunity to wear these big jerseys.

What is it like playing for Panathinaikos during the most difficult period of its existence?
The team right now has many economical problems, but for myself and my teammates we try to play our best with respect for the club.

From the outside looking in Ouzounidis looks like a fantastic coach. Can you tell us how he gets the best out of players?
Mr Ouzounidis knows the Greek championship very well (mentality etc.)
It’s true that he gets the best from every player he trains. I don’t know how he does it, only what I do know is that this is a big advantage for him and also for his team.

Who has been the most influential person in your career?
The most influential person in my career is my father. He was also player and now is a coach. He taught me many things about football that has helped me a lot throughout my career.

What's the biggest game you have played in?
The biggest games that i have played in are the derbies in the leagues i have been involved. Panathinaikos/Olympiakos (both sides), Hearts-Hibernian and Sturm Graz-Rapid Wien

What are your memories of Euro 2004?
My memories of Euro 2004 were unforgettable.I remember myself as a kid celebrating every win and also the trophy was paraded in my town’s streets.with all the people celebrating. As Greek citizens we must thank all the players and coaching staff for that unforgettable happiness that they gave us. That “miracles” can happen.

Who is the best player you've ever played against?
There are many players i played against but the ones that stand out are, Fernandao, Diego, David Silva, Steven Gerrard, Daniel Sturridge, and Graziano Pelle are some of them.

How do you prepare for matches both physically and mentally?
I face every game (friendly and official) very serious. I never choose games. My mentality is that you have to show every day what you are able to do-firstly to yourself and after to the others. Show your best at every moment.

What type of player do you want to be remembered as?
I want to be remembered as a player that gave the 100% in every game even if you play good or bad and as a person i want to be remembered as a humble.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and best of luck for the season ahead.
Tasos can also be found on twitter Tasos Avlonitis Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Chants in Greek Football

The Panathinaikos - Croatian Connection

The Current State Of Football On Greece’s Biggest Island - Crete